Monday 13 September 2010

All Good Things Come to an End







...but then there's always a vacation!!!

I can't believe it's already the 13th of September. The circus just ended and I'm back in London once again (at my Godfather's) ready for a ten day vacation around Europe. The end came so quickly and I don't think it has fully hit me yet that this magical experience is really over. What an adventure I was embarking on last April....little did I know how far I would come with my assistant choreographer/director role as well as performing in the show as one of the two dancers. I really loved touring around the United Kingdom these last five months and I'm going to miss my circus family dreadfully. I'll think of them when I bring some of their phrases back to the UK: "That's well nice!" or "You knob" or "That's knaff" or "Nice one!" There are also some ruder ones...

Our last few sites went really well (we were all sold out!) and we had another visit from Helena Bonham-Carter and family as well as designer Vivienne Westwood. Our last weekend of shows in Cirencester brought a comedy show by some of the performers on Friday night and a visit from Molly Molloy the director, on Saturday night we put on a spoof show of the main circus acts and the Martinez family visited me from London, and Sunday my photographer friend Lia Chavez and her husband David visited and after the last show we had a big party. The comedy show was put on by Will Buchanan our drummer, Gabor Vosteen our musical clown, and Olivier Taquin our mime act. Olivier and his partner Boris were two men watching a scary/romantic/funny/trajic movie and was such a wonderful use of facial expressions over a well chosen soundtrack. Gabor then did a theatrical rendition of Tim Burton's "Edward Scissorhands" and Will closed the show with some stand up comedy. Saturday night's spoof show was so funny and so creative I absolutely loved watching it (and performing as He Yuan and Yang Rui's Chinese globe act wannabes). Finally, last night was incredible with London band "The Trojans" (Gaz of Gaz's nightclub's band) performing in the ring and everyone dancing. There was a hog roast and cocktails served as well, and everyone was in great spirits. However, today was another matter as everyone was so sad this morning taking down the tent, finishing up their packing, and making their way to the next chapter of their lives. I left on a tearful goodbye but taking so much with me from the experience.

I am so incredibly grateful for everyone who visited me on the tour. Thanks to Kurt, Mom and Dad, the Hartwell family, Tia Helena and Helo with Caaarlo, the Magoris family, the Martinez family, and Lia Chavez and her husband David. Finally, thanks to Molly Molloy my mentor and the most wonderful director I could have worked for in my first assistant choreographer and director position.

I'm really looking forward to heading off to Paris and then Amsterdam for a 10 day holiday to visit my godmother and friends! On the way back from Amsterdam I'll make another stopover in London to take some dance classes and do some more photography work with Lia. Then it's back to the Big Apple where I will finally be reunited with boyfriend Kurt, family, and friends.

PS I've just received word that the Ivoryton Playhouse in Connecticut (where I performed in the musical "Evita" in the summer of 2008) is putting on the circus musical "Barnum" in December! Jackie Hubbard has already invited me to take part so it looks as if I might be working on another circus musical to come!

That's all for now, with very much love
Carolina the Traveling Circus Ballerina

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm sad too...I knew you were going to miss it so much...but I'm sooo happy you are coming home!
    Love you tons.
    mummy

    ReplyDelete