Friday 8 January 2010

Where There's a Will...


...There's a Way.

I am now back from London and had such an adventure on the last few days. Last Monday I went up to Gloucestershire, England (an hour and a half North of London) to sign the Giffords Circus contract. I did just that as well as getting a full tour of the farm where the circus rehearses, and I saw the vintage caravans we will be living in. What a beautiful, imaginative, and magical job this is about to become! I looked at their website and archives of past shows, and the costumes are to die for! The newspapers and magazines in England come from far away to see the circus and photograph it. Another thing I loved was the British humor (or "humour") from everyone I met. They are all just like my British father and the silly phrases they used were all too familiar to me. As my boyfriend says: I will be in touch with my British side...and I couldn't be happier.

I am also thrilled to be dancing (and assistant rehearsal director) for a type of project I have yet to embark on: a circus. My past projects have consisted of movies, music videos, modeling, musicals (including "Evita" at the Ivoryton playhouse in Connecticut where I played the tango dancer...one of my favorite roles to date), and concert dance performances.

On the plane ride from Heathrow to JFK last night I watched two movies which both used the saying "where there's a will there's a way." Coincidence, eh? I certainly thought so. The movies were Jennifer Anniston's "Love Happens" and the new Vanessa Hudgens film "Bandslam." In the former of the two films Jennifer's character takes Aaron Eckhart's character to a concert in an unconventional way: via cable-repair truck (where they both are lifted in the little bucket raised into the air by a crane parked just outside the concert) due to a lack of ticket availability. In the latter film Charlotte uses the phrase to refer to her best friend Will managing her band. It got me thinking how grateful I am for the opportunity to take on freelance jobs the way I do, and it is because of my persistence despite the constant rejection one learns to take when in the entertainment industry. As Jay-Z says in his new song Empire State of Mind: "If you can make it [in New York] you can make it anywhere." Thank you, (Sinatra) for your wisdom it certainly rings true!

I'm looking forward to recovering from jetlag this weekend and catching up with my wonderful New York friends. Home sweet home, New York City! Au revoir, London...see you in April!
***

No comments:

Post a Comment